Unwind by Neal Shusterman


 5/5
One of the best books I have ever read. It is such a great work and really should be better known!
...........................................................................

 The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.


.........................................................................
This is an AMAZING book. It is very dark, scarey, surreal. It's definitely something you could actually see happening. Its a dystopian plot that is brilliantly written. It is about a future where no one could agree on abortion so they came up with a plan where parents could have the option of "unwinding" their children. They give their kids up to have every ounce of them be taken apart and go into a donor bank for others. It follows 3 kids. Each one going to be unwound for a different reason. There is a section that made my hair stand on ends and I didn't breathe the entire time I read it. There is no gore, but the authors why of writing the thoughts of the character let's you imagine it all. It is something that still disturbs me thinking about it. The world is so much like our own and you can imagine this actually happening that this book becomes haunting. This is such a great, great book and should really be known  by a lot more people. Pick it up. You will not regret it.

(A second book "Unwholly" has just been released. I have it on my kindle but I haven't gotten to it yet. I am looking forward to it though! I will update this once I have read it to include it!)




0 comments:

Post a Comment