Spellbinding by Maya Gold

Synopsis

There's more than one way to be powerful . . .

It is during a routine school project that Abby Silva--sixteen and nearly friendless--makes a startling discovery: She is descended from women who were accused of witchcraft back in 1600s Salem. And when Abby visits nearby Salem, strange, inexplicable events start to unfold. Objects move when she wills them to. Candles burst into sudden flame. And an ancient spellbook somehow winds up in her possession.

Trying to harness her newfound power, Abby concocts a love potion to win over her longtime crush--and exact revenge upon his cruel, bullying girlfriend. But old magic is not to be trifled with. Soon, Abby is thrust headlong into a world of hexes, secrets, and danger. And then there's Rem Anders, the beautiful, mysterious Salem boy who seems to know more about Abby than he first lets on.

A reckoning is coming, and Abby will have to make sense of her history--and her heart--before she can face the powerful truth.

Pub Date: 4/1/2013
 
...............................................

My Rating and Review
3/5
 MAX
.........................

 The cover and the synopsis made me want to read this book. It was an okay read. It's easy and entertaining to get through, but besides that there is nothing special about it.

Abby the main character is very one dimensional.  I can't even say that I liked her.  Half of the book is spent whining about her lack of attention at home and her Dad's new girlfriend, which has little to next to nothing to do with what is happening to her and the story. She puts a spell on a crush as revenge on the typical "evil girlfriend" so he'll fall in love with her. Then throughout she acts like it is so wonderful he finally likes her. What kind of romance is that? One where the other's will is not their own?

Then there is Rem. Possibly the only character I did sorta/kinda like. He is Abby's other crush. He is a very important character, but we do not find out much about him other then a few facts here and there. We get cheesy answers to why he chooses the actions he does and no real answer to some of the important warnings he tells Abby.

I feel like this could have made a good series. That way the plot could have been more in depth and the characters could actually grow (They hardly do as it is.).

The first half of the book I was really liking it and thinking it was going to be good.

But then it goes down hill fast.....

The unfolding events happen way too fast, and you don't exactly have a complete understanding as to why they are happening and why these people would want to do them? Does becoming a witch instantly make you bad? I was left scratching my head and with lots of questions.

Then to top it all off,  "time" goes how it was supposed to suddenly. The vile girlfriend is softer and her posse is cut off. (No reason as to why.) Her family is suddenly not as bad.  She and Rem change and can be together. But again we have no complete understanding as to why or how this happened.

I understand what the author is trying to do. Got it. But there just wasn't enough there to grasp on to. This is a "read it and forget it" type of book.

It left me feeling like I missed out on something that I should have just "magically" understood.

There is nothing "magical" about this book for me.
  

Amazon Page        

5 comments:

Renee Rose said...

I love the way your blog looks!!!
Found you on blogger lift and am now following you. Great writing style too!

Ashley Knapp said...

Thanks. I am trying to write a little better then my first posts. I did not get the gift of writing in my genes. I am glad you like it!

Thanks for stopping by and following! :)

Bethan Mosley said...

It's a shame you didn't find the book good. When I was reading the synopsis, I felt like it was going to be a really good book, like you thought yourself, but I guess not. It's a great idea for a book though, I'll admit :)

Ashley Knapp said...

It was a great idea. She should have made it a series or longer though. Too much was crammed in and it made it confusing. She didn't give enough time for the characters to grow or for us to understand the ideas completely. It could have been a great series. It just (to me) didn't work as a single book.

Dabin Han said...

Cute blog! New follower, don't worry, you're already following me so I won't ask for a follow back :)I read the book too, I didn't like the love potion idea. It felt sort of like a distraction from the actual plot. Great review!

Post a Comment