Unwholly (Unwind #2) by Neal Shusterman

Friday, March 15, 2013

Synopsis
It’s finally here. The long-awaited sequel to the bestselling Unwind, which Publishers Weekly called a “gripping, brilliantly imagined futuristic thriller.”

Thanks to Connor, Lev, and Risa—and their high-profile revolt at Happy Jack Harvest Camp—people can no longer turn a blind eye to unwinding. Ridding society of troublesome teens while simltaneously providing much-needed tissues for transplant might be convenient, but its morality has finally been brought into question. However, unwinding has become big business, and there are powerful political and corporate interests that want to see it not only continue, but also expand to the unwinding of prisoners and the impoverished.

Cam is a product of unwinding; made entirely out of the parts of other unwinds, he is a teen who does not technically exist. A futuristic Frankenstein, Cam struggles with a search for identity and meaning and wonders if a rewound being can have a soul. And when the actions of a sadistic bounty hunter cause Cam’s fate to become inextricably bound with the fates of Connor, Risa, and Lev, he’ll have to question humanity itself.

Rife with action and suspense, this riveting companion to the perennially popular Unwind challenges assumptions about where life begins and ends—and what it means to live.


 .............................................

My Rating and Review

 4.5/5

Ok, first off, if you haven't read Unwind yet. DO IT. It is one of the most griping books I have ever read. 
That being said, this sequel is really, really good as well.  I thoroughly enjoyed this one also. 
The plot continues where the first left off. We see the consequences of the events in the previous and find out where the characters are because of them. I think one of the reasons these books are just so good is that they take place in "our world." The country is the same, but because a war was fought over abortion, you can unwind kids. This dystopia works because so little is changed from our belief systems now that it makes these books believable. It's something I could see happening, and that is what makes the books terrifying to me.


This book adds more characters and their stories to the picture. I can't say I like them all, because I don't. I don't think we are suppose to. We see what making a group of people "second class" can do. Each new character puts a different view and spin on how we see the belief of "unwinding."
We still get to see Lev, Conner, and Risa though, so don't worry!

Throughout the book the tension only adds. The situations the characters are in become more complex. There is a certain amount of growth in everyone of them.

We find out more of the history that lead the country and the world to where it is. We also see more of how people has changed, and how the idea of how "Americans expect things" comes into play in this new world. What is sad to me, is that if this did happen to the country we live in, I could see people I know behaving this way. 

Will I read the next one? HECK YES! I love this series. I find it mind blowing and surreal. I would recommend this series to anyone. It is written beautifully and is an amazing story. 









You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I agree I loved this book, I never read the first and jumped in to the 2nd book then I loved so much I went back and read the first. I cannot wait until UnSouled comes out soon. Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I found the first one a little better, but then it also had THE SCENE. I don't that can ever be competed with! :)

    ReplyDelete

Category3

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images