Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.




 4/5

I have wanted to read this book the moment I saw the cover. It was love at first glance. The cover gives a good idea as to what this book is about, and made me even more curious as to the story of this tragic girl in the picture. 

Overall, I thought this was a great read. It wasn't scarey like I assumed it was going to be. It reminded me of a good episode of Supernatural. Definitely can be creepy at times, and a great story just not necessarily scarey.The whole plot was enjoyable and the characters are so different and fun to read about. 

Cas is a great male lead. I don't read a lot of books from a male POV so it was interesting to me. I couldn't help but picture him like a young Dean Winchester. (Yes, Supernatural AGAIN.) You can't go wrong there. He seemed like a strong character, but he also was vulnerable in so many ways that he has learn to hide through his life.  He comes into the story determined to do what he always has done, kill a ghost by himself. I enjoy watching him learn to question everything he believes and also learn to accept help from others. 

There is lot in this book. Kendare Blake has definitely given us a great series with this book. It is full of action and mystery with just the right amount creepiness to keep you on your toes and reading this book. This is one that I couldn't put down once I started. It was a lot of fun to read and a original story that I haven't seen or read before. 

That being said, I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in this series. I look forward to finding out what happens next and seeing where Cas decides to do after the ending of this first in the series. A great paranormal/ghost read for anyone who likes them, but I think anyone would enjoy this book!

0 comments:

Post a Comment