World War Z by Max Brooks

  
The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid-etched first-hand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet. He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. World War Z is the result. Never before have we had access to a document that so powerfully conveys the depth of fear and horror, and also the ineradicable spirit of resistance, that gripped human society through the plague years.

Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trail began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this invaluable chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War.

Most of all, the book captures with haunting immediacy the human dimension of this epochal event. Facing the often raw and vivid nature of these personal accounts requires a degree of courage on the part of the reader, but the effort is invaluable because, as Mr. Brooks says in his introduction, “By excluding the human factor, aren’t we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it? And in the end, isn’t the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as ‘the living dead’?”

Note: Some of the numerical and factual material contained in this edition was previously published under the auspices of the United Nations Postwar Commission.





5/5

Let me start off by saying my husband was at Wally World one night and decided to pick up a book for me. So obviously , because we want to see the movie, he got me this book. When I first starting reading this I thought this is going to be something I can never get through. I don't read adults books for one, but I also just thought I was going to absolutely hate it!

Let me tell you why...

This book is written like a documentary. It is not the story of one character. It is a little story of many, many people throughout the "Zombie War." It is written with each story being an interview. I am not into these this type of things, and I thought it was going to be dry, but I thought how it was written is one of the things that made it work. Once I started, I couldn't stop. 

This book is beyond compelling and interesting. It captivates you. I loved reading the different stories from the various places in the USA and around the world. To me, I could see I different personality with each, but they also had similarities. I think it is important to remember that the stories are told from a point of looking back as to what has happened. They all experienced the same thing to some extinct, all of these people are connected. They survived the outbreak of zombies and the near destruction of mankind.

I can not tell you how much I loved this. It made me think, and I felt like I was watching this film of the past. something that happened in our history. Almost like watching a documentary of any past war.

I would recommend this to any zombie lover. It is an original, fresh (to me) take on the whole zombie/ end of world type story. Like I said, I went into this expecting to hate it, but I loved it. It is easily one of my favorite books I have read. I never found a moment dull and I would read it again just to pick up on some of things I might have missed!

On a side note... I am not sure how this movie is going to work. I think it will just have to incorporate the events and how things unfolded in the book. Like I stated before, there is no main character. Just a bunch of stories of people connected. I am still excited to see the movie, and what they do with turning this book into a motion picture!

0 comments:

Post a Comment