They hear the most silent of footsteps.
They are faster than anything you've ever seen.
And They won't stop chasing you...until you are dead.

Amy is watching TV when it happens, when the world is attacked by Them. These vile creatures are rapidly devouring mankind. Most of the population is overtaken, but Amy manages to escape—and even rescue “Baby,” a toddler left behind in the chaos. Marooned in Amy’s house, the girls do everything they can to survive—and avoid Them at all costs.

After years of hiding, they are miraculously rescued and taken to New Hope, a colony of survivors living in a former government research compound. While at first the colony seems like a dream with plenty of food, safety, and shelter, New Hope slowly reveals that it is far from ideal. And Amy soon realizes that unless things change, she’ll lose Baby—and much more.

Rebellious, courageous, and tender, this unforgettable duo will have you on the edge of your seat as you tear through the pulse-pounding narrow escapes and horrifying twists of fate in this thrilling debut from author Demitria Lunetta.
 

 

4.5/5
 I have been excited to read this since I first read the synopsis. It ended up being a great read. I was hooked in very quickly and then the plot twists and all kinds of crazies happen. 

Amy is just hanging out watching TV when all hell breaks loose in the world around her. I loved reading about how she learned to adapt. Many times learning from her mistakes. She has to grow up fast. She goes from a very material loving girl to one who has to learn to survive on the bare necessities all while not making a sound. Yes, the author gave Amy the PERFECT conditions to survive so that made her surviving a little less agonizing. 

Baby is a toddler Amy finds, and against her better judgement, takes home and cares for. The grow to depend upon each other. Baby is remarkable in herself. I can't wait to find out more about her in the next book. 

I have read where a lot of people do not like when we, in the second half of the book, have a bunch of new characters thrown at us. I, personally, did not mind it and I could follow them all. To me the bit of confusion all the new people bring adds to what Amy must be feeling also. She is getting the new people thrown at her as we read. It made me feel more connected to her feelings. 

I thought this was a great start to a series. I LOVE this type of critter/apocalypse themed books. It was intense and dramatic in lots of spots and I found the pacing to where I couldn't put the book down. I will be reading the next book, because I am dying to know what happens next. If you like zombie type books, this is a great one to read. (This is not really about zombies, but it is the same type of story.) I definitely recommend checking this one out!

3 comments:

Donna @ The Happy Booker said...

I have this coming up soon in my to-read list. I'm glad to hear it will be such an entertaining read! I love these types of stories too when they're done well.

Eveline @ Eveline's Books said...

I'm glad you liked this book, since it's on my TBR list. I indeed read a lot of reviews in which they did not like the second part, I liked how you interpreted it. Great review, I'm really excited to read this now:)

Eveline's Books

Rita_h said...

I was wondering if this story was really gruesome, being a toddler was involved I was put off of reading it. Just wondering--I like post-apocalyptic though.

Post a Comment