Left Drowning by Jessica Park

Friday, August 09, 2013

 
 What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.
 
 

 
 3.5/5
 I had a love hate relationship with this book. I was in love with the writing and the whole story about 70/80% of it's entirety. The ending 20/30% killed it for me. 

The beginning of the story is written beautifully. I love how our MC, Blythe thinks and how her feelings are describe. I love the scene where she meet Chris Shepherd. The middle was not as good, but the characters are ones you can't help but love. You become involved with each one's story and pull for them all.  

I fell in love with Blythe and Chris, and really loved them together. Well I loved everything but how creepy quick they loved each other. That was a little much for my tastes. Besides that, they really help make each stronger, and I love how their stories fit together, even it was a bit over the top and predictable. They are both very relate able characters, and you want to cry, laugh, and even hug them at times. 

The ending of the book to me, felt like it was written by a completely different person. Some of the events that occur were a little too soap opera like for me to enjoy or believe. It went from a very beautifully written story to a rushed one and like that of most new adult books. There is just so much drama that it gets old. Some of the scenes and lines were so corny I just wanted to DNF it right there because of it! It bothered me so bad that I couldn't give it more then a 3.5.

If you like New Adult, this is one to check out. I now plan on reading other books written by Jessica Park because of how much I loved the first 2/3ish of the book. I am curious to read more of what others thought as well. I have read a lot of mixed reviews, so you might just be another person who loves it. It just ended up falling way short for me.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I really enjoyed this book! Glad you liked it (or at least most of it)! I loved Blythe and Chris too, but yes, they did get very serious, very fast. But I guess that happens in real like sometimes, too, so it didn't bother me that much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insta love relationships usually creep me out a lot but sometimes they are okay because the characters make them better, y'know? Good characters are what really make books for me so I'm glad you enjoyed the characters in this one despite not loving the whole book completely! This sounds pretty interesting so it's added to my to-be-read pile now! :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Category3

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images