Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.
 


4.5/5
 This is a new adult novel that really spoke to me. I read this during the time I was taking care of my grandma. She was home with hospice and she has passed, but this book really helped me cope with knowing any moment could be my last with her, and then also after the fact.

It is a story of loss, of impending loss, and moving forward afterwards.  Our character s struggle with it and learn their own ways of coping.

Layken is our MC. She has just lost her father with the start of the book. She's figuring out how to keep going and suddenly she has another great obstacle that she is facing.

Then we have Will. He lost both his parents tragically, and he had to learn to go on, and deal with what he's been handed. Will teaches Layken  ways to cope and express her feelings with death and loss. (The poetry in this is AMAZING!)

We have such amazing characters beside that of Will and Layken. They each touch your heart, and their stories will break it at times. I loved how much not only our main character grow, but how our sub characters do also.

This is a great book. It really spoke to me and I think it would to anyone feeling with grief. This is only book one in the series, but doubt if I will ever read the next books. This felt like complete story, and felt like with the ending, that's all you really need.  This is definitely a novel I would recommend to others!

1 comments:

Nicole Hewitt said...

I LOVED Slammed and I totally agree that it works really well as a standalone. I did just recently read book two in the series, though and loved it as well!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Post a Comment