In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.

Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.

 
 

 
 4.5/5
 I have been excited for this book ever since I first laid eyes on the cover. I didn't have to read the synopsis to know that this was one I was going to have to get my hands on. I am glad the hype I built for myself was not let down.

This is dystopian, but it has some very thought provoking themes. Suicide as an epidemic? My first thought was "What the heck?"  I loved the world that Young created for us. What if adults so desperate to save they young generation took everything that could cause any kind of pain from your memory? Your experiences are part of you, so in their attempt to cure you actually just took a piece and that was it. To me the idea really made me think.

They teens are terrified to show emotions. They really can't or they will be taken to The Program. The soluton or so they say. How can a person not get depressed when you are not allowed to grieve or be sad? You can't trust anyone, not even your parents, because that is a one way ticket to The Program also. This is what our main character must face every day! This is her new normal.

Our MC is one couldn't help but like. She tries to say strong and protect those left that she holds dear, but at the same time she had to deal with the losses she suffered in secret. She keeps going. She is determined.  I also loved how much of a fighter she was. most would give up at some point but she keeps going until the end.

This is a great new dystopian. It is a breath of fresh air in originality for a dystopian. The twist at the end was enough to make me want more.  For all you dystopian lovers, this is one for you!

3 comments:

Sadie A said...

I am definitely a dystopian lover! Ahahah, I adore the cover too. The premise sounds so interesting with the suicide epidemic. I love it when authors are able to make dystopian/fantasy/sci fi books relatable and relevant with thought provoking themes. I heard about this book a little while ago but had forgotten about it, thank you for bringing this to my attention again, I look forward to getting my hands on it. Awesome review! :)

- Sadie @ Lyrics.

Yasmin said...

I've been wanting to get this book since it came out and just got around to ordering it last night! Your review has made me even more excited to get my hands on it :)

http://theinkboxbooks.blogspot.co.uk

♥ BohoBookLover ♥ said...

Ohhh, I can't wait to read this book! I'm so glad it's been getting such high reviews :)
Lovely review and I can't to read more!

http://bohobooknerd.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment