Top Ten Tuesday #7

 

With this week's topic.. I have a shameful thing to admit. I really have not read too many classics. Sure, I had to read a few in high school. but we barely read any of the favorite required reading books. It was all Shakespeare, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Stephen Crane. I enjoyed them, but I wish we would have read more. I like reading Jane Austen, but you know who wants to see a list of only her books. I have so many classics on my TBR, just those are so easy to glance over and pick up new books.  SO what I am trying to day is for me putting contemporaries with required reading is something that would take far too long to do, and I don't feel like I could think of books to pair with the ones I have read.

As I was sitting here thinking about how to do this week's topic, I thought about how many people who don't read always say it is because of the often dry books we are forced to read in school. So I thought my list could be books that I think would make required reading more fun, give students a chance to discuss them, and maybe make some new readers in process. 

 
Unwind by Neal Shusterman - I put this on a lot of posts. It is truly an amazing book. It would be a great one to make the students think and make great discussions.

 Mortality by Kellie Sheridan - This would be for the zombie lovers, but it also gives us the POV as the person becoming and as a zombie. I really think it would keep the interest of the students. 

 The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Of Course!
 
  
Divergent by Veronica Roth - I might love dystopians a little too much, but I really think students would like them and they would be a great in class talk. 

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey - We read this with a sub when I was in high school. My entire class loved it. Even rereading this years later, I still loved it. It is a great fantasy novel and is very entertaining. 

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling - Do I really need to say anything?

  
The Pellinor Series by Alison Croggon - A great fantasy series. It has everything a reader could want. 

Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan - Another must series. 

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - Romance and action for both the boys and girls. Plus it's my favorite series and author. I couldn't help myself.


That's my list this week. What's yours?

4 comments:

MiaTheReader said...

I will have to add Dragonsong to my reading list. Looks like a great book! Good list, too.

Kim said...

I have Divergent, The Lightning Thief and Harry Potter too! I don't know why I didn't include VA, maybe because there are mature scenes throughout the series?

My Top 10 Tuesday

Review: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Eveline @ Eveline's Books said...

Great TT! Percy Jackson, HP, Divergent, Unwind and HG made my list too, all are amazing for teens:)

TTT @ Eveline's Books

Renee Rose said...

I picked Harry potter too! LOL here is my TTT

http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2013/09/top-ten-books-that-should-be-required.html

Post a Comment