Top Ten - Dealing with Death

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a theme is given that you compose , you guessed it, a top ten list for.

I am going off script this week completely. You see, my grandpa died early Sunday morning. That is what is on my mind, and so I thought I would do a list of books to what is on my mind.

My Grandpa wasn't an easy man. He could be the biggest jacka**, but he also was the kindest and most giving man I have ever met. I know that doesn't make sense, but that is how he was. My grandma, his wife,
passed away four years ago. She was my best friend, and I had a very hard time excepting her being gone. So with Grandpa's passing, it has kind of opened a wound for her as well as a new one for him.

I got to share my babes with him, something I never got to do with my grandma. You have never seen love until you saw how he looked at my girls.

Sorry for this depressing post and the little bit of soul baring. I can't say my list of books is going to be any lighter of a mood either, but some of these meant a lot when my grandma passed, and revisiting them now seems like a good idea.
(Please excuse the format this week. I'm on my phone finishing this, so it is as good as it is going to get.)

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
 Little Women is one that makes my heart feel a bit lighter in sad times. It is always a reminder to keep going no matter what.

P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern
This is one of the few times you will hear me say I preferred the movie version to the book. (It was probably Gerald Butler)
Ps I Love You is one that touches my heart about continuing to live and moving on.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman
I chose this for the main reason the whole story revolves around "Death." This is one of those I will never forget. It is one that makes you think about our society and what the kind of values we place on life itself.

If I stay by Gayle Forman
This is one I read shortly after my grandma passed. It is the only book to ever make me sob, but it is so good.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The acceptance of death and living for every moment until it is here is what this book gave to me.

Slammed by Colleen Hoover 
This was my first Colleen Hoover Novel and I read this during a night I was sitting with my grandma, and again while sitting with my grandpa this past weekend. It is so powerful in ways I can not explain, and it brings such comfort to me.


The Air He Breathes by Brittainy C. Cherry
I didn't love this series, but The Air He Breathes blew my socks off. It has such a powerful storyline that gives you all kinds of feels. It just moved me.

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Sorry to hear about you grandpa. This is a lovely list of books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss! It's never easy accepting when a love one dies. I'm still in a bit of denial over my grandpa passing and it'll be three years in November. Then my other grandpa passed just last month and it still hasn't really clicked with me either. It's just hard. I totally understand what you're going through and you have my deepest sympathies.

    Nice theme of books too! I can't say that I've read any of them but still I always appreciate anyone who takes the time to come up with a theme and their picks! Thinking of books to fit a theme is HARD! Lol!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so wierd how it is so easy to convince yourself it's not real. Grandparents passing just sucks.

      I'm sorry about your losses a Well! ❤

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your loss. I'm glad that your grandpa got to meet your children. That must have been a big blessing. Sending virtual hugs and healing vibes your way ...

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about this post is beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you. I know exactly what you mean about your grandpa's personality--the way you described him is pretty on point with my own grandfather, who passed away a couple years ago.

    Great picks. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you get It! As you know, it is so hard to describe someone like that!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I completely understand...sometimes familial relationships can be complicated. I completely agree with you about Unwind. That is a book with a really powerful premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is one I will ever forget. If I have to recommend one book, I always choose Unwind. There is just something about I think everyone needs to read.

      Delete
  6. Hi, I'm sorry for your loss. This is a great way to work through all the emotions. One of the reasons I love reading...it can help us through some difficult times.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paladins Strike Hack Gold and Crystals Online Generator created to make the game easier for all gamer.
    Paladins Strike Hack!

    ReplyDelete