Paper Princess (The Royals #1) by Erin Watt

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

From strip clubs and truck stops to southern coast mansions and prep schools, one girl tries to stay true to herself.

These Royals will ruin you…

Ella Harper is a survivor—a pragmatic optimist. She’s spent her whole life moving from town to town with her flighty mother, struggling to make ends meet and believing that someday she’ll climb out of the gutter. After her mother’s death, Ella is truly alone. 

Until Callum Royal appears, plucking Ella out of poverty and tossing her into his posh mansion among his five sons who all hate her. Each Royal boy is more magnetic than the last, but none as captivating as Reed Royal, the boy who is determined to send her back to the slums she came from.

Reed doesn’t want her. He says she doesn’t belong with the Royals.

He might be right.


Wealth. Excess. Deception. It’s like nothing Ella has ever experienced, and if she’s going to survive her time in the Royal palace, she’ll need to learn to issue her own Royal decrees





4/5

I picked this up because of the cover. I am so glad it caught my eye now. Going into it, I wasn't expecting to enjoy Paper Princess as much as I did . I always have it in my mind that I don't like contemporary romance, but I do. I always start reading any book of the genre with the thought I am going to drag my feet through it. What can I say? I am a strange being.
I was instantly hooked from the get go, and I had to force myself to allow a second day to read it. 

*I have a one and a three year old, so my days of staying up all night reading are nonexsistant now. Mom's got to be able to at least slightly function.*

Random tidbit over. Going back to my review.

Anyways, the storyline is full of angst and moves fast enough thatyou are never left bored or with the feeling of it being drawn out.  It is not a light hearted story, but really it lands on the darker side. The  darkness stems from the past and it's hold on all the characters.

Ella Harper was a girl I loved. She is not a self pitying, "woe is me" heroine. You find out bit by bit how much of a crap hand she has been dealt so far in her short life. She is old for her age, and has had to take on more to survive then most adults. She doesn't ever complain, not really. Not like so many heroines tend to do in the entirety of so many books. She is a breath of fresh air.

The Royals are a different story all together.  With the loss of their wife and mother, they are all broken. Their issues are deeper then that alone, and it makes their characters have a dark, mysterious, and rich depth that is completely their own. Each  one has their own destructive personality and story that adds to the complexity of the story line. I can't wait to read more about each of them, and how they will continue to change and grow.

This is a really great gritty, slow burn, contemporary romance. I loved it so much I have already started the Broken Prince, #2 in the Royals series. 

If you haven't already, make sure you check this series out.

I would recommend this to those who enjoyed:


The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay
Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A Tucker

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I should really give this book a try! It seems like something I'd enjoy a lot and I've heard so many great things about it from other bloggers. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I'm excited to see where the series goes in the next books as Well! :)

      Delete